February 3, 2014

Muslimah Musings: Healing Broken Hearts


I had a tumultuous start to the day with my four year old. Those of us with young children probably feel every day begins this way but today was one of those 'how on earth am I a mother?!' days. After some bad behavior, raised voices and a reprimanding, I needed a little distance from the culprit. By distance I mean I stood in the kitchen and he lingered in the doorway with tears and spluttery, incoherent sentences. I explained my need for a little time at which point he promptly lost all concept of that thing and reappeared in the doorway after one minute intervals or less, looking more sorry for himself and infinitely more needy.
I eventually realized that my standing like a lemon in the kitchen was not achieving anything for either of us. I definitely wasn't getting any alone time and my son was only asking for a hug at this point, and I have a total inability to refuse my children hugs.
So I walked to him with my arms out, and he jumped straight into them, wrapping his arms around my neck and his legs around my waist in that child-chimp way. He put his head down on my shoulder and the whimpers gave way to those little sharp inhales of breath until they subsided and he sighed a long, slow sigh. His mood had mellowed in a moment and there was that renewed sense of comfort but with it, came a wave of panic in my head... Was that moment of subdued quiet the sound of his heart mending... Or breaking?!
Whenever I’ve read an article about broken hearts, its usually in reference to marriage, divorce, death, separation and loss and the owners of these heart are friends, relatives, or our own selves. No doubt this a real, valid topic but alhamdulillah I have a beautiful marriage, and have never really experienced loss of any significant kind so I fall into the blissfully ignorant category of people who have never truly had a heart that needs healing. But this morning, it dawned on me, what if I’m the one breaking hearts?  And worse still, what if I’m doing it on a daily basis?
For a child to need, search and request comfort, he was clearly in discomfort to begin with.  As busy mothers juggling a hundred things at once, a quick hug, a few kind, rushed words is about all we manage before sending them on their way again.  If however, we bring an adult to tears, its a big deal.  We’ll apologize, rationalize, talk about it, probably even post on Facebook about it. Why then do we give such fleeting attention to the tender little hearts that place their entire world in our hands?   
I don’t mean to suggest that a single harsh word or those inevitable parenting mistakes will scar a child for life and create a broken adult.  We've all experienced their adept resilience against our every request and plea (getting in the car, leaving a store, bath time, mealtime, anytime) so we know too well they’re made of the tough stuff!  They may not be emotionally mature and their world experience may be limited but who's to say their hearts don’t need and are entitled to the same care and attention?
There are some scenarios that are almost synonymous with a broken heart… Neglect, emotional distance, being wronged, mistrust, abuse…  I know I am guilty of every one of these when it comes to my children - albeit on smaller scale - but when you’re dealing with smaller hearts, what’s the difference?  Being too busy to play, failing to keep a promise, shouting or misplacing anger are all those ‘small,’ accidental things that we do day in, day out and theres no denying there must be an impact on those fragile hearts.
The topic of ‘the heart’ in Islam is an intricate one.  For starters, its status is superior to our common understanding of it.  Its not the sort of thing that should be relegated to agony aunts, Oprah and self help books.  I wouldn’t trust a stranger with my purse, so why give them my heart?
Allah swt refers to the heart with three different words in the Quran (you gotta love Arabic), ‘Qalb,’ ‘Fu’aad’ and ‘Sadr’ and each carries its own nuanced description of the different characters of the heart;  It’s changing nature, it’s susceptibility to become engrossed by emotion and the ‘chest’ that holds secrets.  Given its complicated nature, its almost shocking that we treat it only as the thing that can love or hate.  Its no wonder people struggle to mend that the precious part of themselves.
So how to mend the broken hearts, whether they be our own or those of our children?  The obvious course of action is dua and entrusting Allah swt with all affairs, having firm belief that He (swt) will only give us the khayr.  As with anything broken however, the mending process takes some physical action on our part and this becomes more true when dealing with children.
My daughter looks just like me, has the same happy face, cross face, sad face, same hair, same dimple, same everything.  My son has my husband’s mannerisms, our sense of humour and becomes frustrated by the same things as us.  In short, they are slowly becoming us and as shocking and scary as that is, it also carries it’s blessing.
After my morning panic of whether I’m the cause of multiple broken hearts, I realised that the ‘fix’ is not so impossible.  If my children look, speak, laugh and think like me, there is hope that they will have a heart like me.  Not that I’m claiming to have a perfect heart, far from it, but in trying to perfect my heart, inshaAllah I can mend theirs.
Given that children learn from imitation and direct experience, we have to ensure our physical actions that show the condition of our heart, are in accordance with Islam.  We must strive to make the changing nature of our hearts, turn only to Allah, to not allow ourselves to become engrossed by emotion and anger, to protect our chests from those external whispers.

My action started with an apology, recognition of my wrongdoing and my accountability before Allah.  I didn’t force an apology back and my still whimpering four year old gave little acknowledgment of the whole affair, aside from a few nods but I felt accomplished.  I had straightened out my own heart, corrected the person I see him becoming and renewed my intentions to mend, guide and nurture his heart through focussing more on my own.

4 comments:

  1. Assalamualikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu. MashaAllah a great article..can totally relate to it..deal with the same situations everyday..glad i came across it...Jazakillah khair for sharing ur insights :) In sha Allah may Allah make us better Muslims n mothers..aameen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank Jai Mata Sunlight, for the miracle work she did for me. I have be having serious issues with my husband...and because of that, he no longer come back home after work...and at times he do, he don’t don't talk to me, and we have not be talking together. We are not yet divorce...but it looks like, divorce was even more better... than they way we were in the house. The love of husband, and wife, was dead. I really thank Sunlight...because though, my husband and I was still living together, who don't know...would think we're in marriage. But, we were two divided people, separated from love. When we are aside, people know us as husband, and wife. but at home, we were like single partners ...who do not feel anything love. At times I wonder, where is the love, that we were into? Where did it go to? Because I still love him very much...but he no longer sees me as a woman. So, I have really be in pain but, no one knows... where it hurts me, and burn me so...much, and I don't know who to discuss with..that will give me solutions, to the problems I was facing in my marriage. I have contacted many people before I got to meet jai Sunlight. And I among all I contacted, was all fake. And it was jai Sunlight...who was the only one who helped me bring back, my happiness, and the dead love in my marriage. Thanks and praise to you mother. I am very happy...and I am also happy, to share this great opportunity to you...Readers. for you to get out of that misery you're into, Jai Sunlight...is the key. She saved me. She saved my falling marriage. She gave me life. Right now, as I am writing this testimony, I am in happiness...because my husband wrong attitude toward me changed. He is very, very much inlove with me and not only that, he is also very nice to me. and I am swimming in the ocean of happiness and joyfulness...with this, I want to share with every reader's of this testimony, To be apart of my happiness. because, I am going to leave her email here... in case you need her help. Pls, feel so free to contact Sunlightmata@gmail.com... to get your solutions restored back to you. Be the next to share a happy moments. Contact her.. and I promise you, you will thank me later. Thanks to you goddess Sunlight, for your great help and insight. You're indeed truly, a mother of love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am actually happy finding great articles like this to share my testimonies. My husband and I, is been married for 10yrs of battling and struggling. But when the life started to becoming sweet and good for us to enjoy our life together as family, he started to begin to change from his ways as he no longer have time for me and our 2kids anymore. And when I tried to talk about it, that was when he figured that I have disgusting smell, and that I am too locally old fashioned. I cried like tears was sweet to me. After a long time I see to it myself that I am wasting my time crying. And at times, I sit down to wonder all those things he did when he was yet chasing after me, that was soo adorable to me and that makes me to love him. How wish he could be like that forever I wonder. But now, his new job and his new gf won’t let him have time for us… his ways just started to become suspicious. Late, Dec 12 2017, I went to pick the kids from school. On my way coming home I saw him buying pizza for his gf at rooki plaza and bar. I called him he lied. and said, he was at the company factory taking stock. Unknowingly to him that as I’m calling, I’m seeing him. As I was inside my car with our 2kids. And Ever since then, we’ve not be talking. and most of all times he doesn’t come home and at times he does, he comes home drunk. Everything about him was just driving me crazy and causing great hatred in my heart toward him. But still, I love him and I need his love. yet I don’t know what to do. Until I met up with jai mata sunlight 3days ago and my story changed. I really thank her so much like I don’t know how to again. For restoring back my home and bring in this great joy and love. Indeed…she is a great woman of love. Mother of understanding . I thank you for bringing back my husband though I don’t know how she did it. Cos I told her my problems, and she replied and asked me few questions about our marriage…and also she asked, how I want it to be. Then she asked of his name and my picture and the amount the spell will cost me. of which I quickly provide without any further delays. The next day/ yesterday morning my husband came begging me forgiveness. I was shocked and short for words with the way her charms worked perfectly to save my marriage. that was how we settled. Till now, I am the one saying again the love is too much because since that yesterday, he treats me like a baby which is so very adorable for me. What a wonderful thing mother sunlight has done in my life. Pls, readers. Join me to praise her. Help me to thank her for the goodness she did for my family. And if you out there reading this comment need help, pls feel free to contact Sunlightmata@gmail.com and I assure you. Your testimonies will be next. Thanks to you great mother of love. I love you and god bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really so very happy to share with you the goodness of Jai Mataji Sunlight. The sunshine that came and shine over my marriage out of the darkness situations that almost succeeded in breaking my marital home. Before, my husband and I, there was no day we don't fight. People get use to know us as fighting couples. Either the fault is from me, or him. 4months ago we fought in fronting of our 2kids, They were watching and began to scream and cry. The experience was really a great mess and it hurts me so bad. and hurts me more as I don't know what else to do for peace to reign between us after all that I have tried to be a good wife and a good woman to him. And after the fight he finally left us for his lady he's been dating even after we got married. and he's been lying to me that he brokeup with her. upon that, he's been cheating. Someone told me that she could have use something on him to have him leave his family for her. I was forced to believe it as All hope to have him back was lost. and I thought it was over. But I thank Jai Mataji Sunlight who gave me victory of greats insights and wisdom to go through it successfully. And at the end, win he back after she use a lovespell to call him, brought him back as she said. And when she said it, that he's coming back, I couldn't doubt as I was filled with hope in my spirit with her words. I just believe my days of testimonies is come. So beloved readers, Do you have troubles in your relationship/marriage? Do you want your ex back? or for them to want you back? E-mail Sunlightmata@gmail.com and she will bring it to pass spiritually. and solve all of those things bordering you give you victory to triumph over with testimonies that will shock and also save another persons life, love, and property as you share yours. Thanks to you Mataji. I bless you‎

    ReplyDelete